View Single Post
Old 07-02-2009, 08:07 PM   #24
RoddyB#3

RoddyB#3 is just really niceRoddyB#3 is just really niceRoddyB#3 is just really niceRoddyB#3 is just really niceRoddyB#3 is just really niceRoddyB#3 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
It is worth noting that 24 y/o centers that have proven themselves are not had for the MLE. You have to base all of your assessments with that fact in mind.

I certainly wouldn't characterize myself as thrilled about the signing. But I'm not unhappy about it either. There is absolutely a distinct chance that this is a miserably failed signing.

However, I don't agree with comparing it to Diop. Diop had been given much more of an opportunity to establish himself when we signed him to that horrendous contract last year. His game had taken on a startling decline over the past season, and signing him was an out and out idiotic move of epic proportions.

And given all that information, we STILL found a team that would take Diop off our hands in exchange for a similarly poor (although less poor, for sure) contract.

So even if Gortat doesn't work out, it's not like he'll be a franchise killing weight around the neck of the franchise. And regardless of WHEN Damp leaves this team (and I doubt it will be this offseason) he is in the last year of his deal and we do need to find a center to replace him.

I'm fine with this move, although if I hear one more person say "he's better than Damp" I think I'll shoot myself.
Would you be happier with the move if we found a way to pull off a S&T with Orlando for Bass and Gortat? I know they can't be traded straight up, but both teams can benefit from finding a way.. We would still have the MLE, and maybe find the next missing piece to our puzzle.
RoddyB#3 is offline   Reply With Quote