View Single Post
Old 12-10-2011, 11:23 AM   #20
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
????

Dude if you have a chance to add a top five player in the NBA (and many, MANY people would argue the 2nd best player), you do it.

Why would you not re-sign Kidd or anyone else that's not traded?

You'd basically plug Howard and Turkoglu into whatever is left on your roster and you do freaking backflips of joy.

The line of veterans to play with Dwight and Dirk would be a mile long. You're talking about one of the greatest front court pairings in the history of the NBA.

I'm very confused.
How does it make sense if you can't build a roster around it? For example, how is that going to put you above the Heat, who if we want to play the fantasy basketball game you've seem to prey to, already have 2 of the best 3 players in the NBA, and a much better 3rd player than you're going to hope to find with that roster already hamstrung financially?

Is Kidd coming back for a veteran minimum? Because he's making 8 million/year on his current deal, and I don't see why I should automatically assume he would go all the way to a $1 million contract (otherwise I would have put him in there, but the whole purpose of that previous post was to strip the roster to the bare minimum and see where that left you in terms of the cap).

And why are all the veterans lining up to play with Dirk and Howard, and not Wade and Lebron? Or Paul and Kobe? Or Amare, Melo, and Chandler? Or whatever the next "Super Team" is that gets assembled? Or maybe that just want to play for a team like the Thunder? The assumption that we get our pick of the "cheap veteran" litter is an extremely tenuous one at best.

I never said I'd turn down this deal (because I wouldn't due to the seeming lack of better options at this point), I'm just saying I don't really see it putting us over the top and like you argued in the Chandler thread, it's going to kill your chances to improve much beyond that because you're financially tied down. And you're going to be much moreso than you ever would be paying $15 mil/year for Chandler.

And this is all pinning on our hopes on the very, very long shot that Orlando accepts that deal. And let's be honest here, they're going to get offered better deals. I can't see why this deal makes more sense than a straight up trade for Andrew Bynum.

So again we're pinning our odds on a very, very long shot that doesn't quite seem to put us over the top.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson

Last edited by FINtastic; 12-10-2011 at 11:26 AM.
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote