View Single Post
Old 12-10-2011, 11:51 AM   #26
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
First of all, we're not "pinning our odds" on anything.

Secondly, no one is disputing the unlikeliness of this happening.

Third, I think you're missing a few points.

1. I was worried about being financially tied down because of Chandler. I'll take the opportunity to be tied down with Dwight Howard any time you want. If you have Dwight Howard, you've accomplished what you needed the financial flexibility for. Now you need complimentary pieces, which are easier to obtain.

2. Why are you trying to strip the roster? If you have Dwight Howard you want to retain Kidd. You have bird rights on him, give him what he wants. The point of possibly stripping the roster is to lure a superstar. If you HAVE the super star, no need to strip anything.

You wanted us to retain Chandler because you wanted us to stay competitive, and yet you're not sure how you'd feel about us adding Howard to this mix? I'm again very confused.
Yeah, but I've never said I cared about being financially tied down by Howard, who is worth every penny he'll get paid and then some. However, we're also getting Hedo under this scenario, which is going to be painful to swallow because he's nowhere near being worth the $11.4 million he's owed next year. But the fact of the matter is between Dirk, Howard, and Hedo, we're already well over $50 million in salary, and adding in Marion makes puts you at $60 million and you've only filled out your front court (albeit very nicely).

Now maybe this is due to my lack of knowledge about this new CBA so feel free to help me out with following items:

1) What is the salary cap (likely to be) set at next year?
2) Where does the luxury tax threshold start? I've googled around and the best I can see is that it's roughly $70 mil but I can't get a firm answer on that one. If that's the case we are going to be over that just filling out the rest of the roster spots with veteran minimum contracts.
3) How far is Cuban willing to go into that luxury tax to re-sign his veterans if they aren't willing to just play for the bare minimum? Kidd makes sense as a re-sign. Maybe Mahinmi as well. I'm not sure who else you think I'm leaving out (Terry likely gets traded in this scenario anyways because he's one of the few pieces you could include to make salaries match).

Probably best if we get those things established before we go much further.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson

Last edited by FINtastic; 12-10-2011 at 11:52 AM.
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote