View Single Post
Old 02-15-2012, 11:07 AM   #2166
wilmtalk

wilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to behold

__________________________________________________ ________________________________
ribosoma said:.There are several posters here who routinely call RC "stupid" or "an idiot". Even some who blame him for playoff losses when he wasn't even coaching the team.

It seems apparent to me that RC has a plan for Roddy so far this season. Being that those who laud him often point out that he needs to build his confidence, I would think that playing him against non-contending teams would do exactly that. The idea that Carlisle "doesn't develop young players" (an unfortunate theme displayed by several posters ) is factually inaccurate. Chauncey Billups, Richard Hamilton, Al Harrington, Ron Artest, Jermaine O'Neal, and JJB prove otherwise, to name a few.

..I am not attacking the entire board, just pointing out the repeated themes of a few posters here. If you interpret those in a different way than I do, that's okay by me. No harm done.
__________________________________________________ _________________________________ Wilmtalk said:
No coach is perfect and no coach is totally without merit. I in the past have called RC an idiot. Now within the context I called him an Idiot I still stand by that. In those area's he is still deficiant. Now you in your earlier post stated that RC won the Champianship. The team won the Champianship. I didn't see him out on the floor. Now I do give him credit for starting Chandler thoughout the season instead of Haywood. As to utilizing JJB against LA that was a no brainer because both LA and Miami had trouble with quick points. It was not that brilliant a move as some media heads harped on. Besides RC when he has utilized a player within the rotation for some time and having had a lot of time to to evaluate how the player impacts the rotation he is a pretty good coach. He had the entire season to do so. I have always said he is a good coach with a standard rotation. He just has problems making adjustments on the fly. He has difficulty evaluating an unknown ( new players) or making a quick adjustment. This is what you deal with with rookies they lack consistancy. With veterans they have a history so even if they were not on his team he knows their skill level and what he will get from them. He is also very conservative. There were really no inovative moves that were made in the playoffs. That only seemed so to those that had not really followed the mavs during the regular season. RC has predetermined moves which he utilizes under certain circumstances. He is not a quick thinker, rather he is very methodical.

Having young players on your team does not mean you developed them. That is purely an assumption you make to bolster your argument. Some players come into the league at a higher level of development. Each player is different. Now a relatively inexperienced player such as Roddy really needs development. In relation to his stint in Indiana I defered to the judgement of a basketball knowledgable friend of mine who has been an Indiana fan and follows them extensively. He stated that RC was not good at developing rookies there. That was a main reason he was no longer there.

As to his stint in Dallas, I stand by my statement about RC. Green while having a low BBIQ and probably not much of an NBA future actually got worse the longer he was here. Now I can understand a player not getting better, but getting worse says a lot. To say that RC developed JJB is a joke. Our Latin posters will tell you that JJB was an offensive force with a lot of experience and success in International BB already. All that happened here was that he finally was integrated into the offense. And that took quite some time. JJB was not raw like Roddy.

RC is a very good coach in utilizing veterans. Now last years team was an ideal situation for both RC and the mavs. Now if the mavs were to continue to resign veterans and go that route than RC will continue to do fine. But if they want to build for the future with Key veterans while also developing young talent ( low cap number).I don't think he is the guy. As Cuban said the way the salary cap is set up now the latter is the only way to go. I think once the veterans are gone RC developmental weakness's will become evident and it end just like his stint in Indiana did. RC needs and thrives on veterans.

You say you think he has a plan for Roddy. I say his plan is to use him to try to learn how develop players because he knows that skill is now essential for him to be successful as a coach in the future. The problem is that Roddy development is suffering because of RC's on the job training in that area. Who know what it is that RC seems to lack. Patiance, inability to communicate? I have known a few people in my time who were very knowledgable but couldn't or didn't care to transfer that knowledge to others. It might be a personality thing. Some people just can't teach.

Last edited by wilmtalk; 02-15-2012 at 11:27 AM.
wilmtalk is offline   Reply With Quote