View Single Post
Old 08-12-2011, 08:37 PM   #13
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Fun win last night.

A question about the new kickoff rules. It seems that hitting it to the back of the end zone will be quite common this year, with touchbacks galore. So on the one hand, some folks are saying "there goes the kick return" as if it's a thing of the past. But one thing I noticed last night is how *right there* the coverage team was when the kicks did come up short, due to their being five yards closer and also, I'm sure, to the new no-wedge rules. So...

If you were a special teams coach, would you prefer to just kick it through the end zone every time, or would you want to pop the kick up to somewhere inside the five and bet on your coverage team? I could easily see teams getting pinned inside their own ten-yard-line. Not to mention maybe fumbling it away, if the hit came quickly. I mean, they can't let the ball land (it's live) and they can't fair-catch it. You risk a big return, but is the potential reward worth it?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote