View Single Post
Old 09-12-2002, 08:05 PM   #23
David
Golden Member

David is on a distinguished road

<< Ok I'll chime in with a real opinion. Wang is not a very good player. He may become one, but he isn't one right now. He can't rebound, block shots, create off the dribble, pass, or d-up against anyone at any position. He is a headache who is causing major problems with China, where more talented players are poised to emerge in the very near future. Last year, if we threw out our relationships and commitments to the CBA, then Wang probably doesn't even make the Mavericks playoff roster. He just doesn't have what it takes right now to play night in and night out with the biggest and best, and he proved it by being abused constantly in the playoffs. That being said, I like his length and his outside shot (which is FAR overrated on this board it appears). He does appear to have some natural ability. Given a couple of years of nutruring and developing he MAY turn into a player that could contribute for this team. However, he is not able to right now in any real capacity. Suggesting that he starts over Raef is absolutely ridiculous. I'm not sure that I'd give him many minutes behind Bradley or Esch either. He is not worth pissing off China for, and obviously he is highly overrated. If the Mavs can get something for him in a sign and trade, and China is OK with that... then do it. If not, he isn't worth the trouble he's causing, and we should resend our qualifying offer. >>

I think I DISAGREE with everything except when you said &quot;I like his length and his outside shot&quot;. Everything else, I pretty much disagree with. Wang is A LOT better than you think, in my opinion. Wang is so far ahead of Bradley and Esch, it's not funny. Wang is probably as good or better than Raef. Raef has the 4 years at Kansas thing and the experience in the USA over Wang but other than that... I hate it that Wang has to be from a communist country. That cheats the Mavs out of a really good player.
David is offline   Reply With Quote