Thread: Now what?
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2022, 12:07 AM   #460
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budapest Maverick View Post
I'm okay with JB leaving for now. The truth is that this would have been an extremely risky contract. Now, if he totally blows up in New York and becomes an All-Star, obviously that's a different scenario, but for now, let's entertain the possibility that we might be dodging a bullet here, because there is a relatively good chance that this is indeed what we are doing.
I'm trying to see the bright side, but I just don't see it. What exactly was the risk? The Mavs are going to be way over the cap for the forseeable future with or without him, so it's not like we can chase free agents. The only real downside to paying him a boatload is that he would have been hard to trade. And honestly, who cares? Just another guy that you're stuck with for a couple of years, who then becomes extremely valuable in the final year of his deal.

Other than him just being harder to trade, what is the risk in overpaying him? I'm honestly thinking Cuban just doesn't want to go deeper into the luxury tax. I'm hoping that's not the case, but that's what it seems like.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote