Thread: Golf Help
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2005, 07:55 AM   #10
AnMan21

AnMan21 will become famous soon enough
Default RE:Golf Help

i was an assistant golf pro back when i was in college and what Doc is saying is correct - you should talk to a golf pro about the process since there's a lot more to it than the average person knows about. if you find a reputable pro that makes custom clubs, i'd say that's the way to go. generally he'll make you a nice beginner set (driver, 3or5 wood, 5,7,9,wedge, putter) for a fair price. chances are he'll include a set of 3 or so golf lessons as well. a custom fitting will factor in a lot of personalized swing mechanics (lie angle, swing speed, etc.) so the clubs will fit your game, not someone elses. if you want a name brand - ping is really good about personal fittings.

i myself am not a big fan of graphite shafts - though i have a true temper stiff graphite shaft in my 3 wood i've been too lazy to replace. when they were first introduced, they were suppose to help the older golfer as his swing has slowed, but the snap of the shaft would help replace the distance. it's my belief that a 20 something year old man definitely doesn't need them in his irons, however having them in the longer (shafted) woods isn't too bad. again, if your have a custom fit, the pro should steer you in the correct direction.

on that note, a good pro will watch you hit a handful of balls, then give you one or two adjustments, and continue with your for the rest of the lesson on those things. he will not overload you with information on day one - i always focused on grip and stance with beginners. lesson two he will watch you hit a handful of balls again, verify you're still gripping and standing correctly, then pick another area to work on. the point i'm trying to make is, don't let him overload you with material and make sure his attention is always directed at your swing. he may not offer suggestions after every swing, but he should watch every one.
AnMan21 is offline   Reply With Quote