View Single Post
Old 07-07-2021, 01:02 AM   #535
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
So annoyed that Chris Paul is going to win a ring. ....And this Suns team may be the weakest championship team since like the Sonics in ‘79. Basically the healthiest team this year left standing. ...
Agree with the battle of attrition observation; but object to the characterization of the '79 Sonics as 'weak'. Gus Williams, Dennis Johnson, John Johnson, Lonnie Shelton (replacing Marvin Webster from the '78 team) and Jack Sikma; with Fred Brown and Paul Silas off the bench. Coached by Lenny Wilkens. Weak?

That '79 championship was brutal, literally physically brutal. They had lost to the Bullets the year before in 7 games, but showed up for the rematch carrying lead pipes, and crushed the Bullets in 5 games, which could easily have been a sweep.

I'd put these Suns more on par with the 2004 Pistons (Billups, Rip Hamilton, Tayshaun, and the Wallaces), who defeated that dysfunctional Kobe-Shaq team in 5.

And yes, Chris Paul is an odious figure, but he has brought all his classic, old-school point-guard skills to bear on this Suns team, feeding Booker, feeding Ayton, scoring himself when need be, and defending like a vet. And they have responded with a high level of play. Ayton, in particular, has blossomed by having a PG facilitate for him.

Maybe the Mavericks can acquire a legit point guard for Kidd to develop; one who facilitates, distributes, defends, and scores when necessary a la Kidd, and who will take a lot of load, responsibility and pressure off Luca freeing him up to be more of a Booker-type scorer; while simultaneously involving KP to take advantage of his elite skills. That'd be best case.
"Here's a guy that thinks that he can win every possession of every game. ... I think part of his maturity is again knowing how to balance all those kill shots with involving teammates at the right time....That's just part of the maturity process. I think as we move forward you'll see more of an inclusive effort overall on those fronts. I do know that their supposed rift, tiff, whatever you want to call it, is way overblown." - Donnie Nelson, ex-Mavs GM
Jack.Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote