Thread: Kill Bill
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2005, 11:18 AM   #42
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Kill Bill

Forgive me for bringing up an ancient thread...but I just watched Kill Bill (both volumes) last week. So it took me a couple of years...I think I was originally put off because I had heard it was so violent. I'm not a big fan of gore or kung fu movies for that matter, but I have to say these two movies easily make it into my top ten best of all time. In a way, Tarantino reminds me of Kubric (sp?), in that his work seems so meticulous and every detail seems to have such purpose to it. I loved the colors in the film, the music, the dialogue, the casting...i loved everything about it.

Chapter 1 (I think it was 1) was pure genius...when The Bride visits Vernita, the scenery is so child-like...Tarantino puts lots of oversized toys in the front yard, and even the house itself looks like it was painted with a green Crayon. The school bus pulls up as Beatrice and Vernita have their weapons drawn and are covered in blood. QT is a genius at juxtaposing violence against a contrasting background of everyday life (which is what produces the “disturbing” effect). Copperhead even has a her gun hidden inside a box of “Kaboom” cereal. Seriously, you got to find that hilarious, right?

I also loved QT’s ability to build strong characters, even when they had very few lines. O-Ren’s personal bodyguard, Gogo doesn’t really have a huge part, but boy was she memorable!

Personally, I think the violence is so over-the-top, that at some point the movie no longer appears violent, just absurd. Its like going out into th bad weather. Nobody wants to get rained on, but at some point if you get soaking wet, it not longer matters if you get rained on anymore or not.

I could go on and on, but I won’t, because I know this is a ridiculously old topic..and few probably give a rats ass by now anyway, but I just saw it and was wondering what people thought of it back then when it came out. I really regret that I didn't see either one of them in the theater.

I’ve only seen Vol. 2 once, but Vol. 1 was on Encore last week and I Tivo’d it. I’ve watched it at least 10 times this week...its like crack haha.

I can’t wait to buy the DVD’s so I can enjoy Vol. 2, as well as I have 1.

Does anyone want to hear my Top Gun review? [img]i/expressions/moon.gif[/img]

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote