View Single Post
Old 04-06-2006, 09:22 PM   #11
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL
I can understand that logic. The top team in the conference is the top seed.

But it makes more sense for the top seed to be the division winner with the best record since the division winners have always been the top 2 (and now 3) seeds. And the division winner SHOULD be chosen by record in division first.

So the league finally got it right.
Yeah, but that would be an ad hoc sort of thinking.

I fondly remember the '04 season. There was a decent chance, with three or four games to go in the season, that four teams (Minny, Spurs, Lakers, Kings) could end up tied at 57-25. Once you determined the division champs and placed them as the 1 and 2 seeds, you then pitted the second-place division teams against each other to determine the 3 and 4 seeds. There was a way it could have happened--I forget the details--where the 4 seed would have had home court over the 1 seed in the second round, due to the way the tiebreakers worked differently in different matchups. Now that would have been an interesting scenario! The conference champ would NOT have home-court advantage throughout the conference playoffs. Go figure.

Bottom line is, funny things can happen year by year. Mostly it all plays out like it should, though.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote