View Single Post
Old 09-29-2008, 11:51 PM   #29
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
Trust me, I know that Arkansas is inept.. However, I'm trying to conclude as to whether UT's pass defense is improved... It's impossible to tell from Saturday's game because Arkansas' passing attack isn't exactly a good way to gauge your pass defense.
Well I'm guessing you didn't watch the game? When Dick had time and/or bought himself some time, he was able to find receivers. The problem with the Allen, TX product is that he seems to pick out a receiver before each play and just zeroes in on them. Petrino has commented about the volume of plays where Casey has totally missed a WR running wide open down the sidelines. He's just never been taught how to play QB.

Some of the Arkansas columnists and fans on some boards I visit say they've never seen a play run without at least ONE guy wide open. Did that happen at Texas? I don't know. But Petrino's one of top offensive minds in college football. I'm willing to bet there were open receivers and the QB just missed them. But as bad as the OL protected, dick missed some throws down field. He finished 7 of 13 for 138. At least four of his misses were on hot routes/streaks that he overthrew the WR. I can't think of any instance in which the WR in question didn't have a step on the defender.

And I know how you love to bask in Arkansas' sucktitude. Go ahead and get your shots in now, 'cause Petrino will get Arkansas to a place they haven't been in decades...which is saying a lot for a program that doesn't have every advantage in the world. Despite this absolute abortion of a season so far, he's put together a top 20 recruiting class (rivals.com). That might not sound like much but it's better than Nutt ever did. And Petrino is doing it despite more bad press than any coach/program in the land has had to endure over the last 2 years. Where it will really turn around is QB next year. We lose Casey Dick and replace him with Ryan Mallet, who was the #1 QB in the country 2 years ago out of high school. Pretty much the perfect guy to come in and run the system. No guarantees but it looks better.

Last edited by ocelot_ark; 09-29-2008 at 11:52 PM.
ocelot_ark is offline   Reply With Quote