View Single Post
Old 01-02-2003, 11:48 PM   #42
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

<< If the Mavs win more home games than they lose in the second round this year, it seems that they would necessarily win that series, because they’re going to have homecourt advantage in the second round, barring a major collapse. Also, what teams do you consider to have superior talent? In my mind, only the Kings are more talented than the Mavericks, and that’s not a huge gap, even with Sacramento’s bench superiority. But they’re not going to meet Sacramento in the second round, since both are well on track to win their divisions. If they lose a competitive series to San Antonio in the second round, I’m not gonna be happy, because I don’t think they have more talent. >>

KG: I agree that the only team right now that is arguably better than the Mavs is the Kings. We still have more than half the season for players to develop, teams to coalese, and injuries to take place. We also have the trading deadline more than a month away and possible unsigned free agent aquisition. So can't say exactly what the talent will look like at the end of the year. But with the Mavs lead I expect them to win the Division regardless of other teams gains. Only major injury to Mavs do I see as reasonable excuse for not doing so.

And they can have home court advantage and still lose the series winning more than they lose. Example win 2 out of 3 at home. Lose 3 out of 3 on road.

Also, the Kings with the injuries that keep coming in might at some time seriously start to lose games and could finish out of 1st place in their division. Most likely the Mavs would have the #1 seed then. If SA finished ahead of Kings then Kings would have #4 seed and meet Mavs in 2nd round. Not likely, but possible. That's why I'm couching my answers, to protect against possible even though not probable events.

If things remain the way they are today with realtive strengths and records among teams, i would expect the Mavs to advance to the WCF and be very competitive there. I'm not holding my breath, because June is a long time away and I can't last for more than a minute or so. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]