View Single Post
Old 07-23-2013, 08:55 PM   #20
pepe

pepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by moogle View Post
A small amount can sometimes make a big difference.

$1M of cap space could be the difference between offering an elite free agent a 4-year contract worth $52M instead of $48M. Every little bit helps. When the Mavs are competing with the Lakers for free agents next summer, that dollar amount might be the biggest thing the Mavs have going for them.

$1M of cap space could also be the difference between luring a mid-tier free agent with a $26M contract, and watching him sign a full $22M MLE with contenders over the salary cap (Rockets, Thunder, Spurs).

Like I said, I'm glad Brandan Wright is staying. I'm just disappointed his contract is worth more than the rumored amount. Maybe that $1M never makes any differece. Or maybe it comes back to haunt us next summer.
I think the Mavs learned their lesson from this offseason

1. there is no such thing as a bad contract...ie GWallace & KHumphries
2. If you need cap space it only takes 48 hours to clear like 2O million....see the Warriors trading RJeff and Beans to the Jazz
pepe is offline   Reply With Quote