Thread: Ersan Illyasova
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2012, 01:59 PM   #6
Scott McGuire

Scott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by aexchange View Post
No thread police here. Interesting thread, but I think the Mavs are going to buy low on guys this offseason and look for better value next offseason as teams begin to cap out. Ultimately, my guess would be that the Mavs want to avoid using up their cap space like the Pistons and Illyasova smells more like a Charlie V. than a sure thing like Deron. My bet would be that you'll see the Mavs make a run at Gordon and/or Williams, take a flyer on Oden, and potentially look for another buy low guy like Wright this off season.

I don't think you'll see them tie up any cap room on guys who have had contract years during a weird season.
I agree that the best approach would be to avoid the middle class. I believe I watched a Cuban interview where he said with the new CBA the only players that would be worth more than their contract are the All Stars and the people like Delonte/Wright who are minimum guys who can play.

The only "middle class" guys you'd want to go after are guys you value more than other teams. The challenge would be that they'd be unproven over the long haul ala Charlie V (or else they wouldn't be middle class). When people have second halves like Dragic and Illyasova I often am reminded of Marquis Daniels over the part of his rookie year.

The difference is that if there isn't a superstar on the horizon you have to bet on a "middle class" player at some point.

The question is mostly…. If we get Deron, who should we get to add to the roster? I think Ersan could be a great piece to add to the young core with Deron.