View Single Post
Old 02-28-2009, 08:14 PM   #45
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavdog View Post
12 games remaining, villa is one point behind.

chelsea went 6-2-2 in the last 10 games (losses to the reds and manu) with games left against teams mostly in the bottom half of the table.

villa went 4-3-3, with matches (both away) vs liverpool and manu still ahead of them. so yes, it is villa catching chelsea.
I disagree, though only on the semantics. You're looking ahead while I'm talking about the present. "Catching" implies that you have some significant amount of ground to make up already (i.e. at this point in time). So no, that's not the correct thing to say when referencing a measly one point deficit. While that terminology probably will become accurate in the next few weeks, given that Chelsea are likely to increase the gap (for the reasons you mentioned), it's inaccurate right now. If you're watching the top two runners 2/3 of the way through a marathon, and the second place guy is five feet behind the first place guy, you wouldn't at that point in time say "I wonder if he can catch him," even if you knew the first place guy was likely to increase his lead.

As for Arsenal, another goalless draw today. A Villa win tomorrow puts them 8 points clear with 11 matches to go.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls

Last edited by LonghornDub; 02-28-2009 at 08:22 PM.
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote