View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 03:06 PM   #68
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfieldtrash View Post
They played the "exclusive" audio on the Ben and Skin show this morning. All the questions were straight forward. Dirk wasn't baited or his words misrepresented. Dirk sounded pissed as the story portrays him to be.
I listened to them. He sounded frustrated, which is understandable considering they'd just lost to the Hornets.

And McMahon did, in fact, misrepresent something. The only time Dirk ever said the word "trade" was in the context of the past. As in "Once we didn't sign Deron, I knew there'd only be two options, to trade me or to bring in a bunch of 1 year contracts.".

Unless I missed it, that's the ONLY time he ever even said the word "trade". And yet, McMahon says in the opening paragraph that Dirk was "wondering whether it'd be in the Mavs' best interests to trade him." That's not even close to what he did.

Also, he highlighted the more inflammatory parts of the interview without giving equal time to the counter balancing quotes.

For instance, he completely left this quote out of the article:

Quote:
It's kinda early to judge...to judge to see if letting Tyson and everybody go was a mistake. Until we see how next summer plays out, we didn't get to use our cap space last summer, so now we have to see what can happen or via trade or something, what we can pull out next summer. Until then I don't think we really know if letting everybody go was a mistake or not.
Now, when paired with Dirk's later quotes about planning around hope, you get the full picture of Dirk talking through the decision and bringing up points on both sides of the issue. But McMahon completely glossed over that quote, only VERY loosely paraphrasing it in the article before hammering home the point about the hope quote.

McMahon can hide behind the shield of "I didn't report Dirk requesting a trade", but he knew what he was doing when he inserted the trade Dirk idea simply because Dirk mentioned a past hypothetical situation where they might have thought about trading him.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 01-07-2013 at 04:04 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote