View Single Post
Old 07-18-2008, 07:01 AM   #65
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

wmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud of

nice post, Chum. Welcome back to the political pages.

I dropped that in there based on the strength of the Rasmusen polls showing that Obama's lead is non existent now.

This whole thread started with polls that are too early to matter. Most say that the polls take on meaning after Labor Day. I don't know if I really believe that. I find all the polls over time interesting.

It was intriguing to watch Rudy lose the Republican race without a fight after his initial polling advantages. It was disturbing to watch Huckabee and McCain team up to dump Romney out of the race. It was a freak show to watch what Ron Paul did on the internet. It was fascinating to watch the Hillary/Obama feud and how it played out all the way to the end. So, I find all the polling fascinating.

At this point, McCain and Obama are even.

------------------------

As to the charges of the Right Pundit detailed in the article, I respect your defense of Obama.

Certainly, the Supreme Court decision is a "change of the facts on the ground". We will have to see how Obama actually intends to move on guns.
I'm not sure why you jumped into the details of what gun control means.
I think we can assume Obama supported the gun control measures of Chicago and its suburbs since that is the very state Obama is the Senator. So, I think we have some idea what Obama thought gun control meant before the Supreme Court told him what gun control really meant.

As to the flip/flop on Iraq: Heck, I'm glad to see him flip/flop on this issue. He was wrong and he has admitted that he was wrong and he has stated that the "facts on the ground" are going to drive how fast and in what manner we can scale down our "combat forces" while leaving our "support forces". I figure that Obama is going to win and so I am glad to see him flip/flop to positions that are more like mine.
In reality, Obama did not flip/flop on the Iraq question. A careful reading of his prior comments 6-9 months ago showed the exact same position he is called to defend now. It is just that only nerds like me that digest every word noticed back then that Obama was not really the "anti war candidate" that most of America thought he was. Obama did not really change. He just got caught explaining how he really thinks.

I don't have a clue what Obama's previous position of partial birth abortion was. Don't really care. If he is opposed to it, then that is good.

Anyway, I liked your post. And, I posted my article primarily based on the simple finding that Obama has lost his lead and probably lost it due to the PERCEPTION of dropping all the values that the earlier primary voters chose him for.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -Thomas Jefferson
wmbwinn is offline   Reply With Quote