View Single Post
Old 09-22-2020, 04:13 PM   #59
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Dude is a defensive monster, but do we really want a guy who shoots 32% from three?

People complain about THJ (40%), DFS (38%, Maxi (37%), and KP (35%)

Just wait until you have a guy who shoots even worse

I think I'd rather get a guy who can shoot and has the physical/mental tools to be an impact player defensively than to take a chance on a guy who has struggled to learn a whole different defensive system coming here and both learning our defense (as Wright struggled to do) and learning to shoot at the same time.
Problem is, once a guy flashes the “3” part of the 3 and D equation the price just skyrocketed. Joe Harris is merely an adequate defender and not much of a ball handler/creator but has one elite skill and will get paid. Maybe 3-36 or something. Same with Bertans.

I’m for identifying the DFS of the world before they bust out. That’s why guys like Frankie Smokes and DJJ should on our list. DFS is one of the very best values in the league. Royce O Neal is a similar guy and Utah had to give a contract that was like twice what DFS got just due to the timing.

The variable in this is Rick. Does he have the patience to wait for a guy to click. He did with Dodo. And of course it’s dependent on the player be willing to put in the work—that’s kind of a given. I would take a chance on: DJJ being a player that’s had to scrape and work hard in Miami. If they think he can eventually be a league average(what is that 35-36%?)from 3 or better, and they believe in his defense than that’s the kind of move I’d like to see. Or Frankie, rescued from the mess in NYK land, puts it all together in a better system with a better role.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote