Thread: Wackonomics
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2009, 01:52 PM   #192
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

a little more context...

Quote:
If the notes are genuine, the pair would be the U.S. government's fourth-biggest creditor, ahead of the U.K. with $128 billion of U.S. debt and just behind Russia, which is owed $138 billion.
wow.....

....I've been kind of conditioned to think of $134,500,000,000 as chump change .... what with a trillion being the new billion ... but geez, this is kinda significant. The fact that the nation's 4th largest creditor (or faux-creditor) was just caught smuggling his stash in a briefcase on a train seems newsworthy to me.

I mean...the top five countries (and/or smugglers) we as nation owe huge chunks of money to:

1. China
2. Japan
3. Russia
4. Two Japanese guys who were just caught smuggling $134.5 billion in bonds into one of those places you go if you want to make a very significant transaction in great anonymity
5. The UK

One of these five doesn't belong here.