View Single Post
Old 11-26-2011, 04:36 PM   #10
dalger
Golden Member

dalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant future

My priority list looks like this:

Chandler
JJB/Butler
Stevenson
Peja

I didn't include Cardinal on the list since I expect him to be back anyway for the minimum salary. There's no better 13th or 14th option.

Chandler's indeed a must. Our chances of repeating pretty much depend on him remaining a Mav. Although I appreciate their contributions to our run, Peja and Stevenson appear obsolete. If they were willing to re-sign for minimum salaries, I'd be more than happy to see them remain Mavericks as well. Otherwise, I'd much rather see our front office concentrate on Butler and JJB.

Things are tricky when it comes to JJB and Butler. We'll need a reliable backup point guard due to Kidd getting even older. JJB has proven that he can be just that. Not to mention that he's capable of adding another dimension to our game with his speed and ability to drive to the basket. Caron looked great prior to his injury and provided us with a perfect 3-man rotation at the forward spots (Dirk, Marion, Caron) that allowed us to keep all three guys' minutes in the low 30s. That's something that could be a pretty big advantage in a shortened, yet more intense season.

Presuming that we need or at least want to get better from within, Caron looks like the most promising option. Adding a player of his caliber and experience to a championship-level team could be big. Roddy, Rudy and Brewer might be alternative options in that respect, however, I wouldn't necessarily count on them to make major contributions. It could be both hit or miss, and a healthy Butler is better than all three of them anyway.

Long stories short, re-signing Chandler, Butler and JJB for a combined $18-20 million per year (if possible) sounds like a best-case scenario to me and would put our payroll at around $80-82 million.

That could be quite an expensive roster to have under the new CBA with its less enticing luxury tax system. Then again, the Lakers already have a payroll of $91 million for next season with only 11 players under contract. Orlando is at $75 million with 10 players signed, Boston at $72 million with 9 players.
dalger is offline   Reply With Quote