View Single Post
Old 11-26-2011, 08:30 PM   #33
dalger
Golden Member

dalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye View Post
The Mavs should re-sign Chandler but I hope they don't overpay. I don't think his free agent value is all that great. He's not young, not a star, and has had injury issues in the past. I think a deal at $10mm/year should get it done for the Mavs. Why would a team like the Nets pay more than that?

The Mavs have $64mm in salary committed already and signing Chandler probably puts them at $75mm, which is likely just above the luxury tax. Unless they amnesty Haywood, they'll probably say goodbye to JJB, Butler and Stevenson unless they get them for super cheap. Is JJB worth $3 mil in salary plus another $4.5 mil in luxury tax?
I'm trying to convince myself of the same when it comes to Chandler. He's had a terrific year and, if healthy, can impact a team to a point where he's a difference maker. With that in mind, he had two pretty bad years before joining the Mavs due to injuries and I'm sure many GMs still remember that infamous medical check that led to OKC rejecting a trade. Tyson's injury history could keep some teams from making him a huge offer, especially under the new CBA. How many teams are there anyway that could spend or would want to spend $10+ million dollars for a player like Tyson, given that there's actually less money available? I wouldn't even be surprised to see Chandler give us a discount in order to remain a Maverick instead of going to a crappy team for a million or two more per year.

Coming off a major knee injury and approaching 32, I wouldn't expect Caron to receive great offers either. A one-year, $5 million offer could very well do it, one would think.
dalger is offline   Reply With Quote