View Single Post
Old 02-28-2023, 10:54 AM   #386
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
MMB on Luka's defense

If we?re being honest, Luka needs to be better. With Irving in tow, the excuse for Doncic?s subpar defense being that he?s worn out from doing everything on offense won?t last as long. After Kleber comes back, that?s it ? there is no white horse storming the countryside to save the Mavericks defense. No more trades, no more buyouts, this is the roster till the season is over. That means the guys on this roster have to do some self-reflection and truly ask themselves if they can be giving a better effort. That includes Doncic, and everyone else. It?s hard to watch the Mavericks defense falter because Doncic is still on the floor with an exasperated look on his face toward an official while the other team races down the floor to score an easy transition bucket.
If Luka buys into defense and locks it in, I firmly believe he can be very impactful on that end. We know he doesn't have the foot speed to guard the smaller types, but his size and IQ in terms of anticipating moves and positioning have been evident in the past. It's just that he doesn't do it near enough to impact a full game. With Kyrie here, that's exactly right, he no longer has the excuse of have to do it all on offense and have one dimensional defenders surrounding him.

I think this team could make small changes and see big results:

1. Start Wood. Bring Powell of the bench for energy and hustle that fits in more with that group. And if there's no trust in McGee, then bring in Noel.

2. Whittle the rotation. We don't have to play 10+ guys -- make the call now and let guys gel heading to the postseason. That means, no Frank, Pinson, Lawson, etc. unless the game flow demands it.

3. Active rebounding. We have seen it and said it here before, but the team is just bad at rebounding. I don't think it's for lack of size and skill and believe it's more will and want. Actively box out, face up, bring more bodies to the shot, etc. have to show more hunger.

You do those three things and then I think the rest comes along with it. Overall game and flow would benefit from a more aggressive rebounding team. Defense will benefit from limiting second and third+ chance points and creating more tempo and transition. Chemistry should improve and be there come playoffs as you stopped pretending other guys are NBA caliber and giving out 20 minutes here and there.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote