Thread: Return to TX
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2011, 06:51 AM   #18
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

We love where we live, but we could be tempted to move to McKinney... If it didnt increase my husband's daily commute. Why McK over Sherman? I'll tell you, so that you can decide if what we value in a hometown fits what you guys would value. I grew up in small towns and rural areas, and it is now important to me to not have to drive "far" (relative to each of us) to get to anything - grocery stores, health food mart, airports, friends & playdates, American Airlines Center, entertainment venues, churches, libraries, farmers mkt, preferred doctors, mall & shoping (tho I avoid such shopping as much as I can, personally, not my thing). I love that McKinney also has a historic district and the Heard Wildlife Museum, people from all types of backgrounds, yet many parts have a great small town feel. I dont know how schools compare between the two cities, but have only heard good things about McK's. I dont know anything about the towns in between either. A lot has changed since I was a college student occasionally driving into DFW from NE Texas. Sherman still seems waaay too far out for me, personally.

A lot of construction in McK is finished, and what is left is at least on a schedule as far as I understand. I think anything north of it on 75 could end up with major construction in the yrs/ decade ahead.

You could consider if you guys have any special wishes when it comes to pediatricians or family practice docs. The wholistic types seem to like a certain pedi in Frisco (who also specializes in helping/ curing kids on autism spectrum and with a few other chronic issues) and an Family Practice in McK (they like others, but these 2 both take some form of insurance, so people drive from pretty far away to see them).

We have gone driving around Celina & Prosper, and they are really nice places - growing. I see a lot of residents drive in to the bigger "get to everything".

I hope some of this helps. Id be happy to share more, if you have any specific questions. Renting is the best idea IMO because it really helps to get a feel for the area before commiting to a school district, commute, community, etc.

Congrats on returning to TX! I hope the transition goes smoothly for each of you. When will yall make the move?