View Single Post
Old 12-02-2003, 05:19 AM   #58
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Finley for Van Exel

Quote:
Originally posted by: Captain Disaster
And what's that? He makes $13 million a year; he should be doing a lot more.

Thanks for the wonderful compliment.
No, he shouldn't. That's not his role on this team. He makes $13 million and what he should be doing is fulfilling the role his coach and GM have asked him to do. Cand Fin do this better? Yes. Should he do it better? Yes. But he's not that far off either. Fin's main role is to :

1) play better and good D. He's made lots of improvements here and I'm happy to say when he been playing pretty good especially when he's mainly at the 2.
2) rebound when we need him to. Fin's rebounds are down in general, but he's been there quite often when we've needed him. The truth of the matter is that this team needs his rebounding much less than at any time during his career. But he's been able to deliver some huge rebounds when needed.
3) Score less. Fin has been asked to scale back his game. Instead of throwing a juvenile hissy fit he's taken a mature approach and has done what was asked.
4) Make the outside shot to keep the D honest. Here he's struggled, but so has the team as a whole. He'll come out of it. A lot of it has to do with the team needing to jell. We'd have had worse problems it NVE was here.
5) provide Mature leadership in helping team jell. Doing great.

I just don't get the idiotacy of some people's expecations of player based on their salary. Fin is not expected to lead this team in scoring, rebounds, assists, minutes, FG%, FT%, or 3pt%. When I say is not expected, I mean by his employer, not some ignorant fan. Fin's job is not to please the ignorant masses, but rather like most of us, to please his employer. And damn it if he isn't doing pretty good.

Now as to getting NVE, that has got to be one of the most inane and worthless ideas that I have every wasted brain cells to procss. Let's look at Fin's role and how NVE would do:

1) Worse. NVE has trouble spelling D much less playing it. He actually makes me think I could drag my fat ass out there and if not do better at least not do worse. To call his D inept is kind. He's just flat out not skilled and even with great effort still isn't that good. We'd be in a mell of a hess depending on NVE for D.

2) NVE is shorter, less athletic, and a flat out much worse rebounder. We such here if we have NVE.

3) Score less. Nick did a fairly good job cutting back his game during his time at Dallas. I gotta give him credit, but to do so to the extent Fin is being asked to, no way in hell. During Nicks last few months he kept jacking up tons of ill advised shots. Did this in the playoffs too. Helped us in the 1st 2 series and killed us in the last one. Bottom line is that Nick just isn't as good at doing this and still being able to contribute as Fin is.

4) Fin is struggling mightily and is still shooting better than NVE has for his career. Comparing Fin to NVE's shooting performance this year only widens the gap. NVE has always shot like there has been a perpetual door open.

5) The F'em was nice. But one saying doesn't a leader make. Fin has been and will always be the hear and soul of this team. He's the major leadership force in getting it here. NVE has never accomplished anything like this. It' not that he's a terrible leader, just not in the same class as Fin.

So please, please, please pull that $13 million dollar bug out of you butt and just get over it. If Fin's employers are happy that he's doing what is asked of him why can't you?