Thread: Boston
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2005, 06:09 PM   #8
V
Golden Member

V has a spectacular aura aboutV has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: Boston

I was trying to be thought provoking when I pitched the idea that Harris might be a bust. He might be. I don't think we can know yet.

As for the $52 mil on Fins deal ... I don't think you're thinking in terms of the big picture of the deal I'm proposing. Let's start with a rumored Pierce deal that many folks thought was doable on both sides. The rumor from the Chicago predraft camp had the Blazers and Celtics talking about a deal that would send Pierce to Portland for the No. 3 pick and Nick Van Exel. The Celts would have traded for his $12.7 million contract, and essentially waive him without owing him a penny. In other words, the Celtics would get the draft pick and cut their cap by $13 million.

I don't know if it was Boston or Portland who nixed the deal but considering how well Portland did I would expect they liked the picks more than Pierce and his salary.

The point is I don't think it's inconceivable that a lotto pick and cap relief gets a deal done for Pierce. The central question is is whether or not the Blount contract AND netting Finley provides enough incentive for Boston. Obviously the Van Exel deal would have saved the Celtics more money more quickly than "Bradley for Blount" but the difference is not as far off as you might think. Pierce has $45 mil left on his deal while Blount has $34 million. So the net difference in the "Van Exel + pick" proposal and the "Fin, Harris, Bradley" proposal is $11 million more to Boston. But in the Mavs deal they basically get Finley for three years for that $11 mil difference.

Obviously lots of IFs ... And lots of assumptions (like, you have to assume Boston likes Harris as a lotto pick) ... but I don't think this deal is crazy for either side. In fact, I doubt Boston gets a better offer.

"If there's no more questions, I've got a beer that needs consuming."
-- Don Nelson
V is offline   Reply With Quote