View Single Post
Old 12-10-2011, 10:58 AM   #17
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by aexchange View Post
Any deal for Howard starts with some combination of Terry, Roddy B, Fernandez, and draft picks for Howard and a trade exception going to Orlando for Hedo.

This is the most likely deal as it gives Orlando the most cap space and allows them to free themselves of a terrible contract in Hedo. Don't see much chance in this happening, but one can dream.
I think saying you don't see much chance is being generous because I see zero chance to be honest. If you let Tyson Chandler walk because you think overpaying him $3 million/year kills your financial flexibility, why does overpaying Turkoglu $5 million-$6 million a year in order to land Howard make sense? Because these 6 players alone are going to cost you $65 million next year (and that's being conservative and assuming Howard only resigns for $20 million):

-Dirk
-Howard
-Turkoglu
-Marion
-Brewer
-Dojo

That's after amnestying Haywood, trading Roddy, trading/not extending a qualifying a offer to Rudy, trady/not re-signing JET, not re-signing Kidd, and not re-signing Mahinmi.

That puts you at $65 million already, and we haven't even gotten to the point where we are filling the rest of the roster. Brandan Wright has a team option that I think floats around $1 million, which I think you would be stupid not to take at that point. It sounds like Carter has a multi-year deal, but I'm not sure what it will be for so he'd probably be on your roster at that point, but I'm not going to speculate at what price. So seems to me like you are going to be stuck handing out minimum contracts after those 8 guys.

Are we ready to go to war with that?

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson

Last edited by FINtastic; 12-10-2011 at 11:01 AM.
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote