View Single Post
Old 05-14-2007, 05:35 PM   #243
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger
I think mental toughness is over-rated. How do you know a winning mentality? Because players that have it win. Who wins titles? Players with a winning mentality. It's circular reasoning.

I'm not saying that's all there is to it, but it's really easy to go overboard on mental toughness and a winning mindset. I mean, who considered Chauncey Billups a big-time winner until the Pistons won the title? Tim Duncan has all the characteristics people assign to "soft" players (not a vocal leader, misses free-throws in the clutch, etc.), but the guy just wins titles. If mental toughness could be predicted or quantified in some way other than after-the-fact judgments, I'd give it a little more credence.
^^^^solid

I'd say that mental toughness is not over-rated, but it is nigh on impossible for the fan to judge such an attribute.