View Single Post
Old 07-23-2012, 10:54 PM   #38
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitproof View Post
I think I saw a thread like this a couple years ago when another international competition was going on. I think it's a little funny to even ask this question.. it's like an excuse to bash LeBron, etc. As if to say, they are so bad and I hate them so much, I'd root against my own country just to root against them.

If one is to believe in the spirit of the Olympics, which may already be a stretch with all the commercialization, then the Olympics is suppose to be about countries, not individuals. To me, the USA folks - in any sport - represent us. Our system, education, history, belief structure and society produced these athletes. Even if they aren't everything you personally stand for, in the athletic realm, they represent what we do and stand for as Americans as a society/country.
That's fair. But it would help a lot if they had a worthy competitor. As it is, rooting for the basketball team comes across a bit jingoistic. I'd be very, very happy if they lost...and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote