View Single Post
Old 11-05-2010, 01:01 PM   #26
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
I like Murphy as a player more than Borbon at this point. But, you do have to find out about the kid. I think you give him every shot to win the position in spring training. The Rangers need some youth. No, they're not old, but I also don't want to see them with 5-6 starting position players eligible for free agency at the same time.

Murphy's pretty decent as the 3rd OFer. But, he's pretty damn good as the 4th.
I think you give Borbon a chance to earn the spot with his 4th OF duties just as Murphy had to do this year. He earned his playing time and outplayed Borbon and earned that spot. Coming into this year, give Murphy his due and reverse that. If Borbon beats out Murphy, fine, give the kid the spot and move Josh over, but not until he earns it. Yeah, replacing a guy Murphy's age with a guy Borbon's age is nice for the average age stat, but it does nothing for winning games. Murphy is more productive at this point and until he is no longer more productive than other options on the team you go with that player.