View Single Post
Old 06-13-2007, 11:21 AM   #117
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

dude --

a short break and a quick interlude.....

For me, many of the questions are a question of means, not of ends.

e.g., Should we combat aids in africa? or Should we combat aids in africa and if so, by what means?

If the means are "we should start by raising money through charitable contributions where free people can give of their own free will and volition", then I might be more in favor of spreading aids in africa.

but...if the means are "we should start by taking money from the pocket of a farmer from Iowa, regardless of what he may prefer to do with his money, and threaten him with prison if he fails to fork his money over", then I've a problem with the means.

The issue(s) really is that basic...sadly the left has all but drowned this basic issue out of the modern discourse by branding all those who argue against coerced *charity* as greedy bigots.

Last edited by alexamenos; 06-13-2007 at 11:51 AM.
alexamenos is offline   Reply With Quote