View Single Post
Old 07-28-2007, 09:50 AM   #9
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Read an interesting dissertation on CD sales and newspaper sales. It was with respect to the recent Prince CD giveaway in a london newspaper. I think it was 300+ thousand CDs.

What was interesting was that the guy was saying that older artists (and I guess much,much newer ones) don't get much CD sales. They make their bucks touring. The gist of it was that Newspapers had a huge distribution mechanism and could easily distribute CDs that would provoke interest. The newspaper could jack up ad rates in anticipation and the artist would get a fee (x amount) plus the pub for the cd.

Interesting usage of an existing competitive advantage(newspapers). Unfortunately it was written by a LATimes newspaper writers and supposedly the LATimes shot it down because it was deemed "unseemly" I think. Anyway..those newspapers better get on the ball or they will be one dead puppy.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote