View Single Post
Old 04-18-2022, 10:57 PM   #110
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshJive View Post
A quick google search gives tons of orthopedic surgeons warning about the link between Achilles tears and calf strains.

Brad Botkin
@bradbotkincbs
Dr. Alan Beyer of the @HoagOrthopedic Institute said this to CBS Sports before Kevin Durant returned for Game 5: "With a weakened calf, you're worried about significant re-injury and even tearing the Achilles tendon further down."

“Strains of any sort are small tears in muscles that can vary in severity. The calf itself is made up of three main muscles (gastrocnemius, soleus, and plantaris), as well as the achilles tendon. Generally, strains in this area come with an Optimal Recovery Time anywhere from three to six weeks depending on the severity, which isn’t great news for the Mavericks with the playoffs set to begin the Saturday.

Calf strains are incredibly tricky injuries that are notoriously slow to heal and easy to aggravated. When a player returns too soon, they are at a High Risk of suffering a more significant calf strain or related injury such as a ruptured Achilles. Those calf muscles meet at the Achilles tendon, so when the muscle is damaged it makes the connecting tendon more vulnerable. That’s exactly what happened to Kevin Durant a few years ago.”
Jeez, I had no idea calf strains were that bad. In that case, I'd rather Luka sit out the whole playoffs, as much as that pains me to say. If putting him out there in his current condition means he's at a higher than normal risk of tearing his achilles, then it's just not worth it.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote