View Single Post
Old 11-12-2014, 10:32 AM   #4166
Sportstudi
Diamond Member

Sportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant future

Just went through the Hakeem vs. Dirk thread on clutchfans... some posts over there are beyond ridiculous. Acting like Dirk is just an overhyped foreign prospect, just some lucky guy who never faced double- or triple-teams, never saw any good defense against him. Just utter nonsense. I mean, don't get me wrong. If I compare Dirk and Hakeem, for me it's Hakeem all the way. I might get crucified for it around here, but while they're about equal in their offensive game (Dirk has more range, Hakeem the better post game), Hakeem's defense was just unreal. And that really makes the difference here. Probably the 2nd best defensive C of all time after Russel. Loved watching him play, I honestly admit it.

I have Hakeem in my Top 10 (somewhere around 7-8, he played for Houston and I can't stand Houston, but I have no problem to give credit when credit is due) and Dirk around #13-15. But some people over there act that Dirk isn't even within #30. Dirk defense was about slightly above average in his prime. He was never a defensive stalwart like Hakeem, but he wasn't a huge liability either as some people on clutchfans think. Sure, he is now much slower and sometimes it becomes quite obvious that he has lost a step and has become a weakness on defense.

And some "arguments" over there were like he had Nash... I loved Nash when he was here, but while playing in Dallas he was nowhere close the player he was in Phoenix. So, that's just idiotic to use Nash in that regard. And Kidd... Kidd was 38 years old when Dallas rang in 2011. Still solid, but far away from his prime during his days with New Jersey. Tyson Chandler? As much as I like Tyson as a player and a human (and I'm glad that he's back), I doubt he would have won DPOY in 2012 if Miami had won the title one year earlier. Marion? Same like with Kidd. Solid, but also a clear step below his days when playing with the Suns. Peja? He was an all-star 8-9 years earlier. Please. He retired after winning with Dallas. Terry? Come on, the JET was a solid 2nd and 3rd (these days) option, but without Dirk that team was flat out garbage. Dallas went 2-7 in 2011 without Dirk and lost the first two games after he came back while still trying to find his groove.

On NBA.com there is right now a poll where you can vote who's the NBA's alltime best international player. Duncan would be my first choice, but as he's an American citizen by birth, went to college in the US and represented the US internationally, I have a very hard time considering him as an international player. Hakeem in that regard is slightly different as he was born in Nigeria and didn't move to the US before college. He also got US citizenship in 90's and not earlier. Well, if you see Hakeem as an international player, then it's him. Otherwise, it's Dirk all the way.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former." (Albert Einstein)
Sportstudi is offline   Reply With Quote