View Single Post
Old 01-27-2007, 09:18 AM   #113
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
mavdog, did i get your basic idea on hilary right? Do you feel basically the same way i do about obama or did i read too much into your statements?
generally, yes, tho i do not place hillary's political abilities above all of the competition. I do not see her as a "superior politician", there's some very good politicians who are her equal. she's good, yes, she has a seasoned cadre of people around her (much of them bill's old group).

it's the conundrum...if she acts like the men she's running against to show that she is as tough as they are, she's labeled a bitch..or worse, like "lesbian lizard". exhibiting toughness brings out the sexism inherent in a patriarchal society. if she doesn't try and show her toughness, then she will be labeled as being too soft and not capable of making the hard choices the office demands.

hillary is riding on the idea that she is like bill, that she can lead the dems back to the promised land when things were so much better in terms of a positive direction. imo they are fooling themselves, because this is a different decade with a different world. things are never just like they were. could she be a good pres? sure, she's smart and has the capability of organizing a good group of people to serve under her. at the same time she could be a failure as well, trying too hard to prove herself by setting ambitious goals that would never be accomplished, taking the focus and energy away from attainable goals.

I expect obama to not face much resistance from voters due to his ethnicity. although I do see racism still existing in america, it is not deeply seated. in other words, yes there are people who make racist remarks about black people and continue to express negative stereotypes, yet when most of these same people see or meet a person such as obama who speaks intelligently and acts with thought, they drop those ideas and say to themselves "he's different..".

obama's biggest test imho is to show that in spite of his youth and inexperience he is capable and up to the task. that is not easy. otoh his lack of time inside washington's political scene is making him attractive to many voters who want a change in business as usual.

should be a fun race to follow.
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote