View Single Post
Old 07-01-2008, 05:37 PM   #95
jefelump

jefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Zoidberg
^ This is a problem, which is indeed hard to solve...
I think it comes down to philosophy...

Philosophy A - I rely on the government (police) to protect me
Philosophy B - I rely on my own means to protect me

As dalmations said, the police can not always respond in the timeframe needed. By the time they arrive, the perpetrator is long gone, or I'm dead. This is why many neighbors have Neighborhood Watch programs, where local citizens patrol the neighborhood. These people are not law enforcement officers. They are people like you and me. Some of them carry handguns (with license/permit), and others do not.

I'm a Philosophy A person. I do not rely solely on the police to take care of me and my neighborhood.

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain

'Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,'
--Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .
jefelump is offline   Reply With Quote