View Single Post
Old 05-07-2015, 12:28 PM   #12
BigDog63

BigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to all

re: the blow it up crowd:

And get....who? Who is going to come to a completely depleted team, with an aging star and an overpaid 3rd man on its roster?

This is the problem with all the blow it up scenarios, and posters. They all want to push Humpty Dumpty off the wall, and just assume a nice new egg appears in its place. If only it were that simple. The reality is that what you are left with once you push Humpty off the wall is a big sticky mess that no one wants to be a part of.

But the other alternatives aren't that great either. I'm a big Mavs fan, and have stood by them before and after the championship...but I'm not really seeing a pretty picture here. Blow it up and you get cap space but no likely takers. Keep it together and you have a good, but not great, team with little liklihood of moving up. The Mavs had a bunch of bargains on their roster this year...they'll be lucky to just be as good next year as they were this year. And it gets worse after that. The way you build continuity through these times is through the draft, and the Mavs have...James? to show for that (I luv Sarge, but he is what he is). I have no faith in them rebuilding or even restocking via the draft, and I'm not seeing good prospects for free agents. Even when Dirk retires...his bargain contract means there isn't going to be a ton of money to pick up a replacement with. The hazard of having good bargains on your team is that replacing them with similar bargains is really difficult. The Mavs may be in for a long look at mediocrity. If you think I'm wrong, please elaborate. I'd luv to be wrong, but not seeing the other paths forward.

Last edited by BigDog63; 05-07-2015 at 12:28 PM.
BigDog63 is offline   Reply With Quote