View Single Post
Old 06-19-2011, 11:37 PM   #29
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
The bigger issue may be Hakeem getting the nod over Duncan. Hakeem was certainly a threat in his day. I remember it well, in his early going. But he probably wasn't any bigger threat than Dwight Howard is today. In fact, I'm pretty sure he wasn't. Our '88 team beat those Rockets pretty handily in the first round. Just like Howard keeps losing in his early going.

There are many folks who believe that the Rockets don't get that second ring if they don't go and add Clyde Drexler. I'm inclined to agree. I'm not trying to knock Hakeem. But I'm just saying that putting him in the top ten of all time is probably overdoing it. In other words, I wouldn't have him there if/when I make my own list. Good player, good foundation of two championship teams, but probably not any different than Dwight Howard is today.
I think the Hakeem vs. Duncan makes for a great sports debate, but I'm going to maybe go on the slightly controversial side, side with Cadbane, and take Hakeem over Duncan. Some will automatically think I've lost the argument at this point because Duncan has twice the number of rings. But when you just go by numbers of rings, you miss out on all the variables in play that went into those championship runs. So here's my reasoning:

I think Duncan has been an anchor for a great San Antonio defense during the last decade so you can't say that he's anything but a really, really great defensive player. But I'm not sure if you'd be able to count on two hands the number of players that were better defensively than Hakeem. Maybe not even on one hand. The Rockets constantly finished in the top five of points allowed per 100 possession, which was obviously in no small part due to Hakeem. Hakeem snagged two defensive player of the year awards. He's the all-time leader in blocked shots (and the second place finisher isn't even close. He also piled up a freakish amount of steals for a center - over 2,000 all time - and he was averaging roughly 2 a game in his prime. I think Bill Simmons said in his book that since they started recording blocks and steals, no player has combined total of career blocks and steals that comes within 70% of Olajuwon's numbers.

On the offensive end, I think Duncan might get slightly overrated as great as he is. I give Olajuwon the edge here because he seems to best him in both points per game and true shooting percentage (Duncan's inconsistent free throw shooting some years hurts him here I think). Also as said earlier, Olajuwon had possibly the greatest arsenal of post moves ever. As for the Dwight Howard comparison, there's a reason why Howard spent the last offseason trying to soak up tips from the master (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mArHU1ewSog). The Dream Shake is still one of the all-time classic signature moves (and anyone who has ever tried to defend it in one-on-one hoops will know that a player who has mastered this is a nightmare to guard). That Hakeem was able to dominate during what I think was the greatest era for centers ever is another major point in his favor.

As for the '88 loss to the Mavericks, you are overlooking that the Mavs didn't win because of Hakeem, they won in spite of him. The dude had an absolute monster series with around 37 points, 17 rebounds, and 3 blocked shots a game (ballpark estimates, I'd have to go back and look them up to be sure). I think he also also had a PER of 39 for the entire series. Quite frankly, that's insane. You wonder how he lost that series with those numbers, and then you look at the Rockets' roster. From top to bottom it was pretty much littered with garbage that pretty much gave him zero support during that series.

That's a theme that runs rampant throughout his career. Hakeem really played with some bad rosters, especially after Sampson fell off and then was shipped away. After they made their unexpected run to the Finals in the 1986, Hakeem didn't play with a teammate in the regular rotation with a PER greater than 16.5 until 1990-91, which is really pretty pitiful. Even after that it's not like he was surrounded by a great talent until the arrival of Clyde the Glide in the middle of the 1994-95 season.

That Hakeem was able to drag the previous year's team to that 1994 championship is an absolute testament to his greatness because his second best player on that title run was either Robert Horry or Otis Thorpe. There's no shame in saying that he needed a Drexler in 1995 to get that second ring - most teams do need a legit Robin even if Hakeem was able to do without one the year before. So that's hardly a knock on him - Duncan probably doesn't his first ring if he doesn't have Robinson by his side. He probably doesn't get rings three or four either without Ginobili.

Duncan's 2003 run probably does get underrated by he basketball world though. Like Olajuwon in 1994, he dragged a pretty mediocre roster to a Larry O'Brien trophy that year. His numbers were insane that year, and I think people forget how green Parker and Ginobili were at the time. There's a reason that Popovich was forced to dust the mothballs off Kerr in Game 6, and that's because the Spurs just weren't getting any offense when the Mavs decided base their defense on absolutely collapsing in on Duncan. So Duncan deserves absolute props for what he did in 2003.

All in all, I think it's a really close call, but I give the edge Hakeem because I think he's slightly better on both ends of the court. Again - really, really close, but I'm personally giving the nod to Hakeem.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote