View Single Post
Old 09-08-2004, 09:54 PM   #51
endtroducing
Golden Member

endtroducing is on a distinguished road
Default RE:Intellectual Trade

Barkley was a 6'4 PF that led a pretty crappy Suns team to the Finals and nearly upset chicago. Stockton and Malone are two of the best players to ever lace up a pair of shoes...Michael Jordan is his own entitity, comparing him to anyone else is impossible...but to suggest that those kind of guys aren't 'all-time' greats of the sport is crazy. All three of those guys will be first ballot hall of famers and are three of the truely great PLAYERS (not teams) the league has ever seen...anyone will pale in comparison with Jordan, but really, to even suggest that those three aren't even on his 'level' is crazy. they were his peers and gave him some of the toughest competition he ever saw. really, in Jordan's era, how many other teams won a Finals? uh, zero? yeah. does Ewing compare to Horace Grant or Cartwright? or what about him compared to Hakeem? do you still think he wasn't one of the best centers ever?

fact is, the guys I mentioned were true leaders and motivators that had the ability to make their entire teams better. and they generally had no one else on their team. now, if that isn't an AMAZING accomplishment, I don't know what is...

Jordan's titles don't mean anything, in terms of individual play...I don't give a shit what his team did. I'm talking from a pure talent, grit and leadership level (which Barkley, Malone and Stockton all favorably compare to Jordan, as much as one could). Jordan had entire teams constructed around him...without Pippen, Rodman, Harper or Kerr he wouldn't have half the titles he does. those three did more with less than anyone else I've seen, did amazing things, played team ball, won MVPs...as individuals, they are TRUELY all-time greats, which is what matters. There's 11 other guys on the damn team, you know...seriously, do you think Bonds never winning a title hurts his chances at being an all-time great? of course not. it's about the PLAYER. not the team. without the other guys, Jordan wouldn't have won...had other players been surrounded with his supporting cast, I'm sure they could have.

and the insults are really childish and kind of uncalled for. we're all Mavericks fans here.