View Single Post
Old 10-13-2008, 01:15 PM   #69
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavdog
a tangental thought...

hero worship is surely not what is healthy for the public to fall into a trap with, but isn't there a void in our society of admiration?

iow, our political leadership fails to cultivate an image of personal contribution to our nation's good, of sacrifice on their behalf to give of themselves for our benefit.

instead we get inundated with stories of personal greed, of elected officials who trade their votes in an "I'll support your boondoggle if you'll support my boondoggle". nobody who wants to act for the collective betterment.

so no, hero worship is not healthy, yet wouldn't we all be better off if our leaders exhibit unselfishness, of dedication to what was best for us as a whole rather than "what's in it for me?"

yeah, darn idealist I know.

that's leadership, and if their faces were plastered on walls and murals in recognition of that what's wrong with that?
The problem is that Obama seems to encourage the infatuation and it does seem to me this campaign is "all about him". I don't think this will change if he is elected and his policies will reflect biases that further the promotion of Barack Obama as the savior of humankind. Humility and understanding one's limitations are important elements of effective leadership. I don't see these qualities in Obama.