View Single Post
Old 08-02-2014, 12:20 AM   #40
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSMF View Post
I've never heard about the Kiranjit Ahluwalia story till now. How disturbing that a woman can take the time out to research how to make napalm, prepare the mixture, pour it on him and then set the man on fire while asleep. And she really only served three years and three months for such a heinous crime? Now I'm really starting to see how things work. Somehow men are always held accountable for wrongdoings against women (As they should) but yet women somehow are allowed to bypass being held accountable for their wrongdoings against men. Where are the thought police when women are literally getting away with murder against men? Where is the outrage then? Equality my ass, some of these people went special treatment. Shit like that story makes me a very bitter young man.
Yeah, "equality" is all about looking past what's between somebody's legs and treating all people, well, equally.

That's why I don't think the "scantily-clad woman getting raped" metaphor that Jthig mentioned above necessarily equates to a situation where a woman happened to hit a man... Rape is a completely predatory act, but when one person hits another person, it triggers a primal defense mechanism. So saying: "women who dress provocatively had it coming" isn't exactly the same thing as saying "if you hit somebody, you might get hit back."

Now I'm not saying that's what SAS was getting at, and I can tell you just by looking at the size difference between Rice and his girlfriend that hitting her and dragging her by her hair was NOT a measured response to her slapping him - but any person who enacts violence on another person might have an ass kicking coming their way. The instinct of self-preservation can be an unpredictable thing - that's why non-violence tends to be the safest course conflict resolution... Maybe he doesn't hit her if she doesn't hit him first? (although I can't really say that for certain - Ray Rice's violence could have been a completely predatory act, I didn't witness the circumstances...)

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote