View Single Post
Old 10-30-2006, 01:47 AM   #244
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000
No, it wasnt' in the air. This was not a desperation move. Bill likes the guy and has liked thim since he got here. Back when everybody knew that Drew Henson was the next Troy Aikman, Bill was always quick to remind us not to forget about Romo. I thought it was coach speak but when Romo beat out Henson for the back up job I knew something was up.

All things being equal, Henson wins the job. After all, the team had millions of dollars and a 3rd round draft pick invested in him.

Then there was the report that the QB desperate Jets offered the Cowboys a 3rd rounder for Romo and we declined.

Now did Parcells know how he would react under the bright lights...of course not. You never know. But this was not a move of desperation. He had plenty of product knowledge.
Well, I disagree that it wasn't slightly due to desperation. If he really believed in him that much, at this point, he'd have gone to him after the Philly game, I think. It would have made a lot more sense.

Yes, clearly Bill has liked him. I don't mean to say that the organization thought of Romo as roster filler. All those signs you mentioned made it clear that Parcells had hopes for Romo. Hell, the very thought that he would put him into a blowout game was midly shocking, after the Henson stuff. So yeah, clearly there was hope.

But the move, at the time it happened, seemed forced. So I don't think it was ridiculous to be cautious.

And I don't think it's ridicuous to think that he could easily still go through struggles, which is really all I've been saying all along.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote