View Single Post
Old 04-08-2006, 12:16 PM   #6
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up

Nowitzki plays like an MVP

Web Posted: 04/08/2006 12:18 AM CDT
Mike Finger
Express-News Staff Writer

As if Dirk Nowitzki wasn't already painfully familiar with his Southwest Division rivals before, he spent much of Friday night at the AT&T Center getting to know each of the Spurs on a one-by-one — and often, two-by-two — basis.

There was plenty of time spent with Bruce Bowen, who as usual, tried to be as much of a nuisance as possible. Then there were a few minutes with Nazr Mohammed, a couple of possessions with Fabricio Oberto and Michael Finley, and the bulk of the second half with Tim Duncan.

And after they all had their turn at harassing the Dallas Mavericks' star forward? All Nowitzki had to show for it was 30 points, 10 rebounds, a crucial 92-86 victory over the Spurs and some newfound legitimacy to his campaign for Most Valuable Player.

"They were doing some funky things to him," Mavericks guard Jerry Stackhouse said of the Spurs' variety of double-teams and defensive looks. "But he took advantage of it."

After being held to 10-for-28 shooting in Dallas' previous two losses to the Spurs and making only 4 of 13 shots in the first half Friday, Nowitzki came out firing in the second half.

He swished jumpers — one over Duncan and one over Bowen — on each of the Mavericks' first two third-quarter possessions and went on to hit seven of his last 10 shots. With less than 2:30 remaining, he scored baskets on back-to-back trips to help put the game away for Dallas, which pulled within a game of the Spurs for the division and conference lead.

"More than anything, I had to settle down," Nowitzki said. "I was able to find my rhythm pretty quick there (in the second half)."

Nowitzki, who was coming off a 29-point effort against Sacramento defensive stopper Ron Artest, hit his second-half surge despite the Spurs making an almost endless string of defensive adjustments designed to stop him.

Bowen was on him for most of the first half and at the end of the fourth quarter, but Duncan defended Nowitzki for most of the second half — either by design or as a result of pick-and-roll switches.

And afterwards, some of his teammates were already acting like voting for the league's biggest individual honor should be closed.

"Thank God for the MVP," Dallas guard Jason Terry said. "That says a lot about your leader when he gets challenged and keeps answering the call. That's what he did."

LINK

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."

Last edited by mary; 04-08-2006 at 12:17 PM.
mary is offline   Reply With Quote