View Single Post
Old 11-29-2004, 02:45 PM   #30
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Dampier - 73 million, Devin Harris...

We aquired three other centers this offseason before we decided to change direction and go with Dampier. I don't think it's out of the realm of reality to think that MBenga, Pavel, or Booth could average 8 points and 7 boards. Those numbers are Dampier's career averages, and incidentally they are exactly what he's averaging this year. Don't be fooled. Those numbers are fairly pedestrian.
Quote:
so, no ajustment time or learning curve needed in Nellie's system for Damp? Or just none that you are willing to grant? You of all people, being the Bradley apologist that you are, should be honest enough to admit that the box score does not reveal all true impact. Bradley often has poor box scores and yet you rightly prasie all the challenged shots and pressures that highly impacted the game but failed to make the box. Yet you will not show Damp the same. Damp's impact has been largely unrecorded by box scores. The fact that scrubs have not been hanging career nights on us by walking down the lane for easy layups/dunks is due largely to him being in the middle to dominate the interior. I find it unfair that you grant this to your chosen one, Bradley, but not to your hated Dampier. If you think Shawn or Dj or Booth could really make the same kind of impact that Damp does one on one with the Centers of this league, you must be watching another game.
Dampier gets the benefit of playing time here, which is something that no other center has ever received under Nelson. That's the ONLY reason why people are noticing a difference between this year an last.
Quote:
you are usually an intelligent poster, but this statement is rediculous. Even when Bradley was getting serious mintues a few years ago this team's defense was nothing like it is now. Certainly more defensive minded guards play a part in the improved D, but the presence of Damp in the middle is something that Bradley(or Booth or DJ) cannot bring: A real banger with real size.
I don't doubt for a second that any of our four other centers could easily match or exceed Dampier's production thus far.
Quote:
the season is early, and I'm not nearly the Damp apologist that you are for Bradley, if Damp proves nothing more than a totally inconsistant mess, then I will be here to admit it. But from what we have seen lately, Damp may be turning a corner. He may not be the 12 & 12 guy that some expected (not I) but if he is a 10 & 10 guy on this team I will be more than happy. I, and most others, don't expect Dampier to be a TD or KG like guy...just solid and strong...we already have our TD/KG guy.
What you don't do is pay nearly $80 million for that kind of production. No way in hell you do. Add on the fact that we gave up 2 first round draft picks and two solid veteran rotation players and the deal looks ridiculous. There's a reason that most experts laughed out loud when they read the terms of the deal, and it's not because they're Mavericks fans. They laughed because Cuban got played BIG time. We've got one of the worst starting centers in the league, and we pay him like he's an all-world player.
Quote:
revisionist history to be sure.
And you can spin the Nash bafoonery all you want, but it's arguable that right now he's the best point guard in the NBA.
Quote:
I totally agree
I don't doubt for a second that the guy will be busting people up well into his late thirties.
Quote:
I totally disagree. Nash will retire as soon as possible and go live the easy life. He is no Stockton, he'll be an average to good point guard when he's 35 if he has not suffered any serious injuries.(admitted speculation)
He's going to earn every last dime of that contract, and he'll go into the Hall of Fame wearing his Phoenix Sun Jersey. When he retires, columns will be written about Cuban's decision to let him go, and they will be far from complementary.
Quote:
well, I guess your speculation is no better than mine, so I'll guess we'll just have to wait and see on this one.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote