Thread: Big man
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2002, 02:14 PM   #34
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk, 00-01: 151-390 3PA/3PM 38.7%
Raef, 01-02: 104-268 3PA/3PM 38.8%

So, you're saying that one year ago, you would have said that Dirk showed potential to be a long range threat. All of us would have. 390 3PA's from the 3/4 spot most of the year.

This year, Raef takes 268 playing exclusively at the 5 in Denver and Dallas, shoots an idential percentage, but has no potential as a long range threat?

For what it's worth, Dirk attempted 40 less three-pointers this year than last. Allow me some conjecture, but I suppose if he takes his game further down low, like everyone wants him to, he could potentially drop to 325 attempts, or even less. Raef, if he chooses to not be so gun-shy, might raise to 300 attempts. Percentages holding, (from this year, where Dirk improved to 39.7%), that's 129 3PM for Dirk, and 116 for Raef.

I think aggregate numbers are not paramount when you're talking about drawing a defender because of an offensive threat. But you want to use them, so let's use them. A hypothetical difference of 13 whopping made three pointers less than Dirk makes you say Raef can't draw Shaq out? You didn't say he couldn't do it -- you said he had no potential to do it. I'm saying, based on the numbers, he not only has potential, he possesses the skills right now as he sits on his porch drinking beer somewhere in Kansas.

And I didn't even touch the fact that Raef's head got in the way in Dallas, dropping his percentage down from 43.4% to 38.8% by season's end. Raef is an outside threat. Bottom line. You have to guard him at the three point line, just like you have to guard Dirk.

I leave you with one question. Wouldn't you say you have to honor Michael Finley's three point shot? Please say yes.

Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote