View Single Post
Old 06-18-2005, 03:04 AM   #81
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future
Default RE: Tracking the great Yankees to one more championship (2005)

Nice game against the Cubs, Matsui was awesome

--
NEW YORK (AP) -- Once Hideki Matsui got injured, he really started hurting -- opposing pitchers, that is.

Still in the designated hitter role because of a twisted right ankle, Matsui hit a go-ahead homer and drove in five runs as New York rallied late to keep the Chicago Cubs winless at Yankee Stadium with a 9-6 victory Friday night.

``All of a sudden, something bad happens, but something good comes from it,'' Yankees manager Joe Torre said.

Matsui, an All-Star outfielder, tweaked himself last weekend in St. Louis while making a play. Determined to stay in the lineup, he's quickly adjusted to becoming a DH, connecting for three home runs in four games.

He's done so well that Torre and the Yankees have joked that he might stay in that role.

``I enjoy playing defense, bit if he tells me to send my glove home, I'll do so,'' Matsui kidded through a translator.

Matsui homered, doubled and singled in leading New York to its fourth straight win.

--

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote