View Single Post
Old 03-13-2016, 11:18 AM   #72
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

If all Cuban cared about was milking Dirk's name to sell tickets why would he overpay Matthews to come here? There were plenty of cheaper options. Why would he overpay a restricted free agent in Parsons when he could have just resigned Marion? Why would we make any of the moves we made? If all he cared about was putting a mediocre product on the floor and selling tickets he could have done so and been much cheaper about it. Outside of end of the bench players or "hail-mary" type signings(McGee) I can't think of one move where Mavs went cheap by choice. The fact is from 01-11 we were the 5th lowest profiting NBA team. Having an average profit of negative 9mill approx. The CBA changed, we were no longer able to basically outspend most other teams. We made bad trades, we chased free agents that didn't want to come here. The few players we drafted and kept didn't turn out to be contributors. We picked up band-aid players and maybe overpaid players to try to compete, IMO because Dirk is loyal to the franchise so the franchise tried to be loyal right back. Call it a bad plan, call it Cuban intervening, call it bad coaching, call it whatever. In the end all that matters is MBT didn't execute, but not for lack of trying. Just my opinion anyway.

Idk what we are gonna do after Dirk retires, but I'm pretty sure we won't sign the same type of free agents, at least that is what would support the theory of the MBT doing this for Dirk. If we chase a player and don't land him, and Dirk is gone, I'm pretty sure we wouldn't try to then pick up those same band-aid players to make a 7-9 seed. I'm pretty sure when Dirk is gone, and actually starting this last off season the Mavs are more about keeping assets than trading them, things will change and any free agent we do sign would be more asset allocation than trying to compete. Also whether or not there were offers for Powell and Simba is irrelevant to me, just the fact we didn't move them for someone like Jeff Green to come off the bench shows that Cuban knows we are not one player/trade away from doing something. Hopefully meaning we are indeed trying to build the assets back up for what's ahead. IMO they are quietly and slowly preparing for the near future. I personally don't think roster construction will continue under the same philosophy after Dirk is gone.

Last edited by Bryan_Wilson; 03-13-2016 at 11:22 AM.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote