Thread: TiVo HD
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2007, 03:40 PM   #39
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
So has anyone bought a DVD player with HD 'upconversion' so that their DVDs with the analog signal don't look like crap on their new TV's?

(I didn't realize this stupid awesome tv was going to expose these crappy analog signals like this)
Right here(raises hand). I have a 42 inch Samsung (plasma), we bought it in May of 07. Then i wanted a dvd player, not blue-ray($800). So i found a matching Samsung dvd player. (i think its called the hd- up-converter). It was about $99 dollars, Jackpot!

Anyway, the dvd player uses a HDMI cable and they are expensive as shit. If you try and buy one from best buy they will recommended the monster brand and it is like $100+ dollars just for a 3' foot cable. I saw one that was 6 feet for $250., it has gold plated something or other.

I went with radio shack brand, i believe it is only 6 feet long, and it still cost me $50 bucks.

On top of that i had problems with the HDMI cable or the connection or something, so i just grabbed my cheapy composite cables(red, white and yellow), and use those. They look good enough. I don't know what i was doing wrong, the HDMI is for video so i was just running my HDMI to the TV, then running the optical cable for audio to my receiver, the TV would always lose the signal. Now with the Composite cables it works pretty good. Keep in mind that i have only watched 5 or 6 dvds on that tv since May.

That being said, i guess the HDMI cable and up converter is worth it. I think they are over priced but so is everything else in the world.

Last edited by MavsX; 09-04-2007 at 03:46 PM.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote