View Single Post
Old 09-20-2012, 08:35 PM   #62
roadrunner
Golden Member

roadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
So, just curious, and not trying to be combative at all.... do you think that since abortion is murder, it should be illegal in all cases? What about cases of forcible rape, or incest (which has been proven scientifically to produce bad genetics)?
These are terrible situations that I wouldn't wish on anyone. It puts them in the terrible place of deciding between 2 bad options. But, it is certainly a legitimate to look for exceptions in a world where abortion would be enforced as murder.

I certainly dont believe that murder of the unborn is imputed on mothers whose life is in danger from a pregnancy. So, that one I can say with certainty would qualify as an exception.

As for forcible rape, I wouldn't give an exception. I don't believe that the innocent unborn should have to pay a price of death for the sins of his/her father. I would want the mother to consider adoption if she can't get past where the baby came from.

As for incest, I wouldnt give an exception either. Even though the possible bad genetics you mentioned is imparted to the innocent baby I still think this is better then terminating its life. It does really sadden me to think that a baby could reap defects just because of the sins of the mother and father.

I would like to point out that I am a libertarian at heart and believe in states rights whereby I could choose to live in a state, municipality, community that would adhere more to my particular views, ie an exercise of freedom of conscious, religion, etc that is locally determined. Those that believe differently could satisfy their views the same way, just in another locale. The reality is we don't and we have to talk about this in terms of one half excersing complete control on the other half.

I will say that I do respect the other viewpoint in that if you don't believe life begins at conception that all the above would be exceptions or just completely pro-choice regardless of the situation. The saddest for me though is hearing about those that abort just because they don't want responsibility. There are plenty of couples out there that would give just about anything to get pregnant, but can't. Those are the ones that would be prime candidates to adopt unwanted children.
We ran like a simple play, and usually the ball doesn’t come get me until later. So I just trotted through the play and I looked to the ball, and it was already right there in my face. … He sees the floor so well and sometimes he throws the ball and we don’t see it. He’s liable to really throw anything.” Dirk

Kidd to Dirk is the present day Stockton to Malone.

Last edited by roadrunner; 09-20-2012 at 08:38 PM.
roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote