View Single Post
Old 02-15-2011, 12:30 PM   #1339
JamesVE

JamesVE has a spectacular aura aboutJamesVE has a spectacular aura aboutJamesVE has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
That's why he out-rebounded anyone on the nuggets team last night. Slacker...
Anomaly. You won't find Dirk doing that night-in and night-out

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadBane View Post
Odd timing. He had 8 last night, including a number of traffic boards. By the way, his DRR% is higher than Pau and Amare's. His rebounds are down due to reduced minutes, injuries, and age. He's still a good defensive rebounder, especially in the big games.
Well, stats are nice, and I realize part of this is due to the injury/timing. But last year he was averaging ~7 a game, and I remember telling my friends last year that it's all downhill from here as I could see he didn't even really try last year either. Bottom line, this is a 7 footer we're talking about with no athletic drop-off from his younger days. It's a pure effort thing - and he gets a pass for whatever reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceelowdream View Post
I think the rebounds are there. Haven't noticed a fall off.
Again, this is a more than adequately athletic 7 footer pulling in under rebounds a game. That's 2 guard territory there

Look, guys, I love Dirk as much as the next guy. But this is one thing I refuse to be a homer about or put blinders on. If you just watch the game you can tell he doesn't TRY to rebound. He does NOT put the effort in consistently. Hell, he's normally running back down the court as soon as a shot is put up (and didn't we all get screamed at by our high school coaches for that?). Watching the games you can tell that a good 70-80% of his rebounds are the kind that literally just bounce right to him.

You almost NEVER see Dirk truly battling for a rebound or working to get in position for one. Yes, I know you guys can throw out the occasional 8-9 rebound game from him. But just admit it, the dude doesn't put in the effort to rebound like he should be capable of. I'm just stating the obvious. This dude should have always been averaging double-digit rebounds yet never has been able to. It seems to me he's always gotten a pass on this from Mavs-land.

The main reason this irritates me is that his lack of rebounding effort - when he could easily have a lifetime 10+ rebounding average - plays a big part in his "soft" label nationally. He CAN do it, he just doesn't.